Roast with crackling
- Preheat oven to 220°C. Remove pork roast from packaging and place on a rack in a roasting pan
- For optimum crackle, generously rub 1–2 teaspoons of salt and a tablespoon of oil into the rind of the roast before cooking.
- Place roast in the oven and cook at 220°C for 45–60 minutes or until crackle begins to brown and blister. (Check regularly after 20 minutes to make sure it is not burning.)
- Turn oven down to 180°C and cook meat for a further 35–40 minutes per kilogram or until temperature at middle of roast reaches 71°C.
- Remove roast from the oven and rest under foil for 10 minutes before carving.
Roast without crackling
Sear the roast first in a pan. Place in a preheated 180°C oven and cook for 40 minutes per kilogram. Rest under foil for 5–10 minutes.
To aid even cooking, place pork roasts on an elevated rack in the oven or place onto halved whole carrots or halved potatoes to elevate.
Great pork cuts for roasting
Loin chops, rack, rolled loin, rolled belly, leg, rolled shoulder, scotch roast, loin, topside and mini roast. The most premium pork roasts are from the leg or the loin.